The first record available was in 1899, when tenders were called for the lease of this hotel. In 1902 Henry Evans was the licensee (and or owner). Management was to change many times over subsequent years.
In 1929 the hotel was destroyed by fire. Harold E Colless held the licence in 1930, presumably for a temporary bar. In June 1930 it was reported that the licence was to be surrendered, though an interesting tale of inflation was reported in the Dubbo Dispatch and Wellington Independent in March 1931;
INFLATION AT COME-BY-CHANCE.
Wellington Independent – March 1931
“Out Come-by-Chance way in the west, the demon has gripped the inhabitants properly, and living has been- reduced to a system of barter. This story goes that two men walked into the bar of a way-side hotel the other day and ordered drinks. After quaffing the cooling beverage, in response to the barman’s “one and six please”, one of the men reached to his pocket, produced an eagle hawk’s scalp and plunked it down. Without displaying signs of surprise, the barman swept it into the till, and reaching beneath the counter, produced two crows heads— the change. By way of explanation, eagle-hawks’ scalps are worth a bonus of 2/6 each, and crows’ scalps 6d, paid by the P.P. Boards for their destruction.“
Today

Comby Store
Situated halfway between Pilliga and Walgett on the old Cobb and Co route, Comby Store serves as the post office, supermarket, and of course, the pub. This curious community that should be on everybody’s ‘must see’ list is a quiet hamlet now, punctuated by busy race meetings and occasional events at the local hall, but it too had its heyday.



