• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header left navigation
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
  • About
  • Video Stories
  • Social News
The Pub RouteThe Pub Route

The Pub Route

Discover the Watering Holes of the West

  • Pub Routes
    • Two Rivers Route
    • Copper Route
    • Poets Route
    • River Run Route
    • Rockholes Route
    • Opal Route
    • Barwon Route
    • Hot Baths Route
  • Towns & Villages

Traveller’s Rest – Compodore

FacebookTweetLinkedInEmail

The Travellers’ Rest was one of the small wayside hotels and mail changing station between Louth and Tilpa. Located just a mile from the large shearing shed at Winbar, the hotel did good trade for just over forty years.

The Travellers’ Rest Hotel closed for the last time in 1917. The publican David Greeves relocated to Bourke and took over the running of the Union Hotel.

 In 1870, a small newspaper report appeared telling of a tragic death on the Darling near “Cumbedore.”

“A man named Williams in building a public house and a store, living meantime in a tent and bough gunya. It is supposed that a whirlwind or strong gust carried the ashes from their fire among the leaves, and the whole place was at once a blaze. Mrs Williams had barely time to rush out with one of her children, the other perished in the flames.”

In 1876, Elizabeth Wilson obtains a licence for a four-room establishment at “Compadore.” Whether or not this is Williams’ half-built store and hotel is unclear, but it is possible that Elizabeth was his widow.  She remained attached to the hotel until her death in 1897. A small obituary in the Sydney Morning Herald says that she was 65 years old when died and had been a resident on the Darling since 1867.

The last publican of the Travellers’ Rest was David Greeves, formerly of the Telegraph Hotel at Weelong. The hotel closed for the last time in 1917 and Greeves relocated to Bourke where he took over the running of the Union Hotel.

“Mr Greeves has been on the river for many years,” says the writer of Bourke’s Western Herald in February 1917, welcoming the publican to town. “And during that time he kept the Compadore hostelry made himself very popular with all classes. In the Union, he should do well, as he has a thorough grasp of public business, and we wish him success.”

Travellers Rest
Travellers Rest location marker on the River Run Route

Route Locations

Map displays historical hotel markers (radius shown) and pub locations. Find other locations along the route to read more.

This location is part of the following Route(s). Use the Travel Map & Itinerary link for your handy touring guide including; distances, locations, attractions and PDF downloads.

The River Run route
TRAVEL MAP & Itinerary

NAVIGATE

  • About
  • Pub Routes
  • Towns & Villages
  • Video Stories
  • Pub Stops
  • Road Conditions
  • Social News
  • Enquiries
  • Two Rivers Route
  • Copper Route
  • Poets Route
  • River Run Route
  • Rockholes Route
  • Opal Route
  • Barwon Route
  • Hot Baths Route
The Pub Route

© 2026 all rights reserved.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube

Follow us

Copyright © 2026 · The Pub Route · All Rights Reserved · Content List · Acknowledgements